Sunday, October 17, 2010

charity: water















While I was in NY over the summer attending SVA for the Impact! Design for Social Change program, we had the amazing opportunity to visit the charity:water offices. Scott Harrison, the founder of charity:water, told us the story of how this organization got started and why. I was both shocked and amazed when I learned about how scarce water is in several parts of the world and the extent to which it affects people's lives. Amazed by the efforts and results charity:water has made.

Basically 1 out of 8 people do not have clean and safe drinking water. This means that they are exposed to all types of diseases that can eventually lead to death. Imagine if you were one of those 8!


Scott and his team do a much better job of explaining the urgent need for water as well as show you the impact that having water has on the people who need it the most. Check out the videos and information throughout the charity:water site.

In the meantime, a big birthday is coming up for me and I could not think of a better way to celebrate it than by helping others. I really have no need for gifts, especially if I end up moving, (more stuff to pack) except for maybe a "happy birthday" and a donation to this cause.


So, I guess I am a little ambitious trying to raise 5,000 from the start, but that is what it takes to build a well for a village. Any donation is welcome. $20 can give one person clean water for 20 years! 


Start donating now! Not for me but for the one out of eight that don't have water.

Thanks for your contributions. 




No comments: