Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Canadian Brand Proves Generic Packaging Can Be Beautiful
















"No Name (or Sans Nom, this is Canada), the private label of the Toronto-based grocery chain Loblaw, has found a way to both stand out on shelves and provide a service to smart shoppers with simple, clean design that hardly anyone could quibble about." (GOOD newsletter Oct.)



While this new design has proved to be effective in increasing sales and creating brand recognition among Canadian consumers, I am not quite sure that I agree that this packaging is "beautiful". The packaging definitely stands out, making it easy to find and it seems to scream "generic and affordable" which is helpful to someone who wants to get in and out of the grocery store without spending too much money. I am just not sure I want my food packaging to scream out to me or practically glow in the dark from my pantry.


















I really do like the use of Helvetica and the layout of the type. The clean and simple design is attractive but that radio active yellow is what I find disturbing. It's actually making my stomach churn. I want to think that I am eating something somewhat healthy even if it is generic and cheap. Perhaps a different color could achieve the same effect without being so in your face.

When I think of successful and appealing food packaging for generic and affordable products, Publix grocery stores come to mind. The packaging is clean, creative, simple and fun. It is easily recognizable, good price and I feel like I am getting a decent product. Look for yourself.




















What are your thoughts? Do you think that Loblaw's packaging is beautiful? What other examples of good generic packaging do you know of?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i agree with you Ms. Arango. I believe the Idea is great using another color. Maybe even using certain colors for certain products. White for detergents or other items that represent something clean. Blue for beverages, green for veggies and so on.